Monday, April 9, 2007

On the State of Jump-Shooting Cornerbacks...and more

First, let me say this:

Either fantasy baseball sucks, or I'm not as big a nerd as I thought.

Seriously, it would require me quitting my job in order to properly field a team.

I think the reason it's not working for me is the same thing that keeps me from getting into shows like 24, Lost, and the like, which is... I don't know.

Lack of attention span? Lack of TiVo?

Time will tell, or maybe not. Anyway, on to the blog.

Nostradomus had it easy on this one: Phils' bullpen blows another game! Great start, guys.

Speaking of Nostradomus, I was reading an article in Philadelphia Magazine about a mom who was going nuts over her child's college application process.

Her daughter answered the question, what 3 people from history would you have dinner with and why?

She answered like, Martin Luther King, Queen Elizabeth, I don't know, a lot of pretty poor answers. If I was on a college admissions staff, I would appreciate a kid who answered honestly. And for a 17-year-old kid, honesty will most likely include at least one actor or musician or popular teen idol. Seriously, wouldn't you rather have dinner with Britney Spears or Mick Jagger or Tom Cruise?

Anyway, my answer, as a 23-year-old college graduate, would be: Nostradomus, Hunter S. Thompson, and Jerry Garcia.

To recap, a doctor/prognosticator from the Middle Ages, a modern day psychadelic guitar player, and a reporter from the heart of the American counterculture.

I put a lot of thought not just in to the people I would like to talk to, but the dynamics of the group as a whole. You have to admit, hanging with that group would be pretty ridiculous and/or mind-bottling....

...you know, like when your thoughts are all trapped, like in a bottle.

Let me leave you with a list.

4 Songs that are better (or at least really good) acoustic:

1. Everlong - Foo Fighters

2. Are You Gonna Be My Girl - Jet

3. Simple Man - Lynyrd Skynyrd

4. Here it Goes Again - OK Go

As an addendum to the list,

1 Song that I would like to hear acoustic (or just covered in a new way)

Sledgehammer - Peter Gabriel

And furthermore, Susan, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn that the 2004 NFC Champion Philadelphia Eagles could have quite possibly fielded the greatest pick-up basketball team in NFL history.

PG Brian Dawkins (hard-nosed floor general a la Isiah Thomas)
SG Lito Sheppard (silky-smooth jump shot, great defense)
SF Terrell Owens (got invited to play for the Sacramento Kings summer league team)
PF Donovan McNabb (played Div. I ball at Syracuse)
C Jevon Kearse (they don't call him the freak for nothing)

Maybe add in LJ Smith, on account of all tight ends being great at basketball, and Jon Runyan, for intimidation purposes, and you've got a nice team.

Got anything better?

No comments: