Monday, July 23, 2007

Best Live Bands

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen.

I have two things to go over here.

First, and very quickly, there is a hilarious link on preston and steve's website.

Actually, two links.

The first one is an actual 911 call from a police officer.

He confiscated some pot from a drug bust and he and his wife made brownies.

Some quotes from the 911 call:

"I think I'm dying....I think I'm dead."

"Time is moving really really really really really really slow."

"What's the score in the Red Wings game?"

The other link is a dramatization of the video which is now on YouTube.

It is hilarious.

I recommend listening to the actual phone call first, and then watching the parody.

It's really really really really really really great.

Speaking of Preson & Steve, if anybody was listening to the show this morning, circe 7:30 AM, you would have heard them read an e-mail that I wrote in to the show.

I believe it is actually available on their podcast, as well.

The other point I want to make is in reference to the recent Rolling Stone post about the best bands touring right now.

To save you the hassle of clicking a link, I will list it right here.

1. White Stripes
2. Radiohead
3. Pearl Jam
4. Rage Against the Machine
5. U2
6. Metallica
7. Flaming Lips
8. My Morning Jacket
9. The Hold Steady
10. Arcade Fire
11. The Raconteurs
12. Wilco
13. Yeah Yeah Yeahs
14. Red Hot Chili Peppers
15. Gogol Bordello
16. Kings of Leon
17. Muse
18. Dave Matthews Band
19. Tool
20. LCD Soundsystem

How do you feel about that?

I feel pretty good, I guess.

Sometimes their lists are absolutely horribe, and sometimes they pick bands for certain categories just to appeal to some hipster contingent, but this one seems OK.

I mean, I haven't seen most of these bands live, but I guess they're probably pretty good, and it states bands that are touring now, so you don't have a bunch of people screaming to list the Stones or the Grateful Dead or Phish or something like that, which is nice.

What I personally like about the list is it's the first time I've seen a list where the majority of the bands were not only bands that I like, but bands that I really like.

Wilco, White Stripes, My Morning Jacket, the Hold Steady, the Raconteurs, RHCP, and Kings of Leon are all bands that I actively listen to, bands whose CDs I buy.

Plus Dave Matthews and Pearl Jam and U2, those are inescapable bands. You have to include them on like, any list that is released, and I like those bands, too.

The rest of the bands definitely fit, too. I may not be the biggest fan of some of them, but if you're a fan, I could definitely see a band like Tool being a good show.

Is it saying something that a lot of the bands I like are on the list of the best 20 live tours right now? I don't know. Maybe it just means that a band that is truly "a band," meaning they like working together and making music together, they probably play pretty well together, and they probably make good music, no matter what the genre.

So maybe I owe it to myself to check out Muse or LCD Soundsystem or the Arcade Fire.

And maybe if you've never heard of Gogol Bordello (I sure haven't), you should check them out.

And furthermore, Susan, I mentioned I had those links for the preston and steve website about the police officer? Well I'm not gonna link it. Go find it for yourself. Seriously, though, you should check it out. Go to Preston and Steve and look for it, then go to YouTube and type in police officer and 911 and pot brownies or something like that.

No comments: